Love Your Planet
The beautiful orchard setting bursts with wildlife and is full of both ancient and new apple and pear trees. Fifteen different varieties on over 40 trees fill the garden with sweet smelling blossom in spring and then yield tasty fruit for eating, cooking, juicing and cider making. With ample space for seating, a grassy lawn and a clay pizza oven the tranquil garden is a lovely space to enjoy!
We are passionate about sustainability and want to be as planet friendly as possible!
Be an example
Everyone can have a little bit of sustainability in their lives and by demonstrating real low-impact sustainable living we hope to encourage others to start making changes too.
Being ‘green’ is a lifestyle choice. You don’t have to be barefoot living in the woods, but we believe that if everyone did their little bit the world would be a very different place.
We want to be an example of successful sustainable living that can be achieved in a conventional way and show people that if you really want to make a difference, it is actually a lot easier than you think.
Sustainability principles are central to Yarde Orchard
- Real food – provide wholesome home cooked meals with ingredients from local, fair trade, organic and ethical suppliers
- Renewable energy and resources – maximise the use of renewable energy and systems for harnessing renewable resources
- Reduce consumption and minimise waste – minimise food waste, use reclaimed materials, ‘upcycle’ materials where possible and use home-grown produce. Lead the way in recycling systems, use planet friendly products and consume less
- Restoration – enhance existing historic buildings and create comfortable and beautiful buildings and facilities based on ecological design that are in harmony with landscape and nature
- Permaculture – develop practical methods for creating ecologically harmonious, efficient and productive systems that can be used by anyone
Yarde Orchard site sustainability features:
- On site reed bed waste water treatment system
- 2x solar thermal and biomass boiler systems for water heating
- Good Energy supplying 100% renewable electricity
- Firewood from the Tarka Trail for logs to fuel all on site wood burners and biomass boilers
- Systems to minimise water and energy consumption
- Recycling systems to minimise waste
- Composting scheme for vegetable matter
- Supplies of produce for the café are locally and ethically sourced, organic or Fair Trade
Think global, act local
Yarde Orchard is at the centre of and supports a community of staff, volunteers, local suppliers and customers who all share the philosophy of trying to minimise our impact on the planet.
We have joined the charity ‘Toilet Twinning’ to raise awareness of sanitary issues across the globe, as well as raising money to provide better toilet facilities in some of the world’s poorest countries: www.toilettwinning.org
We organised and fundraised our own expedition to Nepal in 2015, just 5 months after the country's devastating earthquakes, to help a village begin to rebuild their lives. We still continue to have links with the wonderful community of Simigaon, Dolakha District, Nepal.
We are a member of the Green Tourism Business Scheme and in 2015 were awarded GOLD status!
Our audit says:
‘There are numerous examples of 'best practice' onsite as a result of the commitment and enthusiasm of the owners, delivering a very green product to tourists and locals.’ ‘Procurement is outstanding with the majority of food and drink items sourced from Devon and Cornwall or made onsite.’
North Devon Biosphere Reserve
We are one of the top ten sustainable businesses in the North Devon Biosphere Reserve and Matt Edworthy from the Biosphere Reserve Team says that Yarde Orchard “is a fine example of what the Biosphere Reserve is about – a workable business on sustainable principles.”
Yarde Orchard was a finalist in 2008 in the Devon Environmental Business Initiative.
love your planet!!!